Skip to Main Content

Academic Staff

Connect with us on social media

Facebook logo    Instagram logo    X logo    YouTube logo

Contact the Library

For help with a variety of enquiries you can contact the Library by:


telephone icon01642 342100  (Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm)





Find us and check our opening hours

Feedback on our services

Urgent help and support for mental health

Requesting materials

Academic staff may recommend print, audio visual and online materials for Library stock, whether they are new titles or additional copies of existing stock.  For items required for a reading list please see the Reading Lists Online tab in this LibGuide.

For items not on reading lists please use the online order form below.

Loan categories

All items add to Library stock are assigned a loan category:

  • Standard loan: 4 week loan period for background reading and items not in great demand.
  • Weekly loan: for frequently borrowed materials. Weekly loans are determined by:
    • Titles marked as essential on reading lists
    • Where multiple copies of a title are purchased, the third and subsequent copies are automatically designated as weekly loan
    • Recommendations of teaching staff.
  • High Demand Loans: 3 day loans for heavily used items
  • Reference: for use in the Library only.  Print journals are reference only.

Requesting journals

Journals and other serial purchases are handled separately and are normally ordered and cancelled on an annual basis as part of a review undertaken by teaching staff in partnership with your Academic Librarian


Teesside University has a licence from the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA), which extends the existing photocopying licence allowing us to be able to create digital copies of journal articles, book chapters, or images which will be linked to Blackboard for your students.  Scanning under this licence can only be carried out by designated persons.  For more information, please see: Scanning for Teaching Service.

Off air broadcasts

S&LS subscribes to the database BoB (Box of Broadcasts) which allows staff and students to access a wide range of radio and television recordings.

However, where recordings are not available on BoB we hold licences from the Educational Recording Agency (ERA) and Open University which allow University staff to make off-air recordings. The helpsheet below: 'Video and audio recordings: A guide for University staff' gives more details about this service.  It also details BUFVC's backup recording services for missed broadcasts, particularly useful if the programmes are not available via BoB.

Request recordings to be made using the Online form, or use it to notify us if you have made yourself for educational purposes. 

More information about the relevant licences is available for the Copyright Guide.